Friday, January 30, 2015

Well, it's almost the end of January 2015 and I can't believe it's been so long since I last posted. I really have no excuse and looking back, I really wish I had posted more. But, no sense looking back. We must look forward to bigger and better things to come! I'm not even going to say that I will try to keep this up, because it may jinx me.

Okay, an extremely quick update. Since catching a swarm of honeybees a little over a year and a half ago, I now can say I have been pretty successful in the hobby beekeeping department. I have 5 hives now and really enjoy working with them. I built a stand during the early spring of last year and expanded enough to have to create a little temporary stand for the fifth hive.


None of my bees were purchased. They were all from traps, swarms or cutouts. If it is true that time is money, then these hives are worth quite a bit. Some of the colonies that I have acquired took quite a bit of time.

In the year and a half of raising bees, I have learned so much about this cool little creature but still have a lot to go and it seems I learn something new every day that I look at them.

At this time of year, the bees don't come out much because of the cold weather, but we do have warm days where they are able to do some house cleaning and stretch their wings a little. I am really looking forward to March where they will really be expanding and building.

I really haven't decided what I want to do ultimately. With three hives, I was able to get enough honey to supply us for a year and give some to family and friends. I do know that I want to get about twice as much this next year. I would like to be able to sell a few jars.

No comments: